Modular, tailor-made website development eCommerce solutions, Domain administration.
"OMG, I'm so intimidated by technology!"
"I have no idea what any of this means!"
"Ugh! Sorry to be confused!"
People don't know how web technology works. I didn't at first, but while I banged my head on the wall in frustration, I learned a big lesson: web technology doesn't work the way you think it works.
My professional experiences focuses on:
- MODX Front End Website Development
- eCommerce Implementation
- Domain Administration
1. Front End Website Development
Fred as I like to call it, entails tailoring MODX to reflect your identity on the web–.
"–So what? Why would a platform I've never heard of be a good presence for my business?"
I'll let MODX explain: "Build your vision without compromise. Leave behind endless compromises of legacy CMS. Rapidly develop any digital experience and power it with a tailor-made content management system."
It's modular in other words. What that means is that it's extremely flexible, limited only by your imagination. Your website should be all about you and nobody else.
2. eCommerce Implementation
I strongly recommend Foxy for all your eCommerce needs for it's extreme flexibility. Foxy's built-in intelligence meets all your business needs from sophisticated marketing strategies to custom data connections for accounting and brand experience. Foxy plays well with others!
My hand-coded HTML is clean and easy to read. My styling aligns with your brand's visual identity, UX, and fits in almost every platform known to mankind.
3. Domain Administration
Number 3 is the source of frustration and stress because it isn't drag and drop, do-it-yourselfable. It's the administrative details that makes the entire internet do what it does, and the most forgettable.
You pay me to expend an enormous amount of energy to resolve issues inherent with Domain Administration.
File This For Future Reference
Registrar: where you bought your domain. You created an account, paid for it, and most likely the Registrar offered you website hosting and email. Always remember your Registrar and your password for it!
Domain Name: thisisyourwebsite.com
TLD: Top Level Domain would be easier to understand as Domain Append. The top ones are the ones you already know: .com, .net., .org, .edu.
Server: the server where your website resides.
From here on out you pay me to know how the internet's Domain Name System works. It's complicated:
Domain Administration is the byzantine process by which thisisyourwebsite.com is displayed in web browsers, and email is delivered to your inbox. There are several components to it and one (me!) needs to know how to create DNS Records.
Here's some of what peterb.io's DNS records are:
- Make NameCheap your Registrar. For some reason I *always* have issues with GoDaddy. It doesn't like it when I login with other people's credentials to make DNS changes. This has been going on for 10+ years now.
- Use ProtonMail to serve your email. It's free and secure, and if you want it to serve thisisyourwebsite.com emails, it will.
- If you choose WordPress, please, please, pretty please! understand that it's a matter of when your WordPress site will be hacked. So host it at FlyWheel. I hosted a domain there for 2 years without a single issue, whereas previously it was on a few "Top Rated Website Hosting Companies!" and eventually each one got hacked. Each time I started from scratch until I was hacked. Next!
My Most Important Pro Tip: Passwords
- Use Password Repository to store your passwords.
- Never use the same password.
- Never login to your website and bank in the same browser at the same time. Why? Cookies can grab bits of data from your browser history and other cookies.
- Use INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH passwords! Store them in the Password Repository. Don't use your name, kid's name, dog's name, DOB year, last name, first name of anyone (Presidents included), nothing related to your occupation, favorite color, favorite movie, favorite movie character, anything public, anything private, anything nearby such as city, city of birth, anything far away such as Horsehead Nebula, nor any other Astronomical classification such as M42 or Messier 42 (Horsehead Nebula).
- Make it strong, such as snifhY-83^swUL! which I just typed. Longer is better. You can make up your own mnemonic which I sometimes do for important passwords I never want to forget in case I'm on my phone and need to login. Example: J3xr2Cmat-H0! which can be Jerry 3 times refused 2 Call me at-H0me!